Let’s talk about the cable technician job
As an expert worker who is working for the cable company is calling a cable technician. These cable technicians have the responsibility of installing the new services, making improvements to the already services, and troubleshooting services.
Every day, the cable technicians have a list of the jobs. Dispatchers trying to give jobs to techs close to each other to complete jobs as soon as possible. Every day in the early morning, the cable company is checking vehicles and additionally cable installer tools needed to perform cable tech jobs.
The warehouse is providing equipment to cable technicians. So technicians can perform residential installations, commercial installations depending on cable technicians’ skills, all this is Cable Technician Job.
Cable technicians are professionals, they focus on customers’ satisfaction and the quality of the job they do. The quality control department is checking every job for quality.
So, Essential Duties and Responsibilities. Not limited to the following and may include other duties.
Responsibilities of cable technician:
- Technicians are responsible for installing, testing, repairing, and upgrading cable tv and related systems.
- Observe all safety rules and regulations.
- Assist other Technical personnel in the performance of their duties when requested.
- Must convey a positive and professional appearance and demeanor when communicating the company’s products and services to the customers.
- Direct customer-facing work.
- Accountability/dependability (on time and on load when scheduled and serve on call as needed).
- Teamwork (technical expertise developed to complete work efficiently to achieve work group key service measures).
- Active Listening (ability to take input from customers, and co-workers to problem solve and improve skills).
- Asking relevant questions to ensure problems are resolved quickly or to clarify information or directions.
- Active Learning (curious seeker of new information and actively works to improve skills and knowledge).
- Assume all other duties as assigned.
Cable Technician Job Requirements:
Ok, so in order to be an expert cable technician, one should have a diploma or degree from high school. Usually, these technicians begin their job as the “cable installers” or “cable contractor” depends if it is W2 or 1099 position (difference you can check on the IRS website).
Cable installers usually start training under the experienced cable technician, training usually takes 3-4 weeks.
So the requirements for Independent cable contractor are listed below (Cable Technician Job by W2 have different requirements):
- Technician must have their own truck, van, or SUV with a ladder rack.
- Technician must have their own tools to perform the job. A laptop may be required.
- Technician must have Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). This includes lace-up boots with a defined 1/2 inch heel, a hard hat, a reflective safety vest, a fall resistor, and safety cones. Other equipment may be required by local management.
- Cable installer tools.
- Must be available to work flexible hours. Weekend work may be required.
- Must pass a background check and drug test.
- Willing to work in all types of weather.
- Ability and willingness to climb ladders.
- Kneel for extended periods.
- Knowledge and ability to explain and educate the customer on the use of services and products installed.
If you want to know cable installer salary just read our article.